My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri

I was the pastor at Camden Point Christian Church from 1993 to 2002 and intermittently from 2003 until I returned in 2007. I'm a native of Axtel, KS. I moved to Camden Point in 1949. I attended night classes at Midwestern Seminary in the early sixties. I married my wife, Ethel, in 1950. We have four children, six grandchildren, six great-grandchildren.

Monday, December 15, 2008

FW: Red Marbles - Nice



--- On Mon, 12/15/08, Tuesday Mallonee <tmallonee@qualservcorp.com> wrote:
From: Tuesday Mallonee <tmallonee@qualservcorp.com>
Subject: FW: Red Marbles - Nice
To: Galenbelcher@sbcglobal.net
Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 1:29 PM

 


From: Angela Snider [mailto:Angela.Snider@awin.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:33 AM
To: Dana Moore; Jennifer Munoz; Linda Crout; Mary Fuel; Shannon Eggert; jneighbors@kc.rr.com; CAROL WILSON; Cathy Villalobos; Leah Mitchell
Subject: Red Marbles - Nice



 
RED  MARBLES  

I was at the corner grocery store buying some early  potatoes. I noticed a small boy, delicate of bone and feature, ragged but  clean, hungrily apprising a basket of freshly picked green peas.  

I paid for my potatoes but was also drawn to the  display of fresh green peas. I am a pushover for creamed peas and new  potatoes. Pondering the peas, I couldn't help overhearing the conversation  between Mr. Miller (the store owner) and the ragged boy next to me.   

'Hello Barry, how are you today?'  

'H'lo, Mr. Miller. Fine, thank ya. Jus' admirin'  them peas. They sure look good.'  

'They are good, Barry. How's your Ma?'   

'Fine. Gittin' stronger alla' time.'  

'Good. Anything I can help you with?'  

'No, Sir. Jus' admirin' them peas.'  

'Would you like to take some home?' asked Mr.  Miller.  

'No, Sir. Got nuthin' to pay for 'em with.'  

'Well, what have you to trade me for some of those  peas?' 

'All I got's my prize marble here.'  

'Is that right? Let me see it' said Miller.  

'Here 'tis. She's a dandy.'  

'I can see that. Hmmmmm, only thing is this one is  blue and I sort of go for red. Do you have a red one like this at home?' the  store owner asked.

'Not zackley but almost..'  

'Tell you what. Take this sack of peas home with  you and next trip this way let me look at that red mar ble'. Mr. Miller told  the boy. 

'Sure will. Thanks Mr. Miller.'   

Mrs. Miller, who had been standing nearby, came  over to help me. With a smile she said, 'There are two other boys like him in  our community, all three are in very poor circumstances. Jim just loves to  bargain with them for peas, apples, tomatoes, or whatever. When they come back  with their red marbles, and they always do, he decides he doesn't like red  after all and he sends them home with a bag of produce for a green marble or  an orange one, when they come on their next trip to the store.'   

I left the store smiling to myself, impressed with  this man. A short time later I moved to   Colorado , but I never forgot the story of this  man, the boys, and their bartering for marbles.  

Several years  went by, each more rapid than the previous one. Just recently I had occasion  to visit some old friends in that  Idaho community and while  I was there learned that Mr. Miller had died. 

They were having  his visitation that evening and knowing my friends wanted to go, I agreed to  accompany them. Upon arrival at the mortuary we fell into line to meet the  relatives of the deceased and to offer whatever words of comfort we coul d.  

Ahead of us in line were three young men. One was in an army uniform  and the other two wore nice haircuts, dark suits and white shirts...all very  professional looking. They approached Mrs. Miller, standing composed and  smiling by her husband's casket. Each of the young men hugged her, kissed her  on the cheek, spoke briefly with her and moved on to the casket.   

Her misty light blue eyes followed them as, one by one, each  young man stopped briefly and placed his own warm hand over the cold pale hand  in the casket. Each left the mortuary awkwardly, wiping his eyes. 

Our  turn came to meet Mrs. Miller. I told her who I was and reminded her of the  story from those many years ago and what she had told me about her husband's  bartering for marbles. With her eyes glistening, she took my hand and led me  to the casket.  

'Those three young men who just left were the  boys I told you about. They just told me how they appreciated the things Jim  'traded' them. Now, at last, when Jim could not change his mind about color or  size . . . they came to pay their debt.' 

'We've never had a great deal  of the wealth of this world,' she confided, 'but right now, Jim would consider  himself the richest man in Idaho ' 

With loving gentleness she lifted  the lifeless fingers of her deceased husband. Resting underneath were three  exquisitely shined red marbles. 

The Moral : We will not be remembered  by our words, but by our kind deeds. Life is not measured  by the breaths  we take, but by the moments that take our breath..  

Today I wish  you a day of ordinary miracles ~ A fresh pot of coffee you didn't make  yourself...An unexpected phone call from an old friend...Green stoplights on  your way to work . . . The fastest line at the grocery store . . . A good  sing-along song on the radio . . . Your keys found right where you left them.   

Send this to the people you'll never forget. I just Did . . .  

If you don't send it to anyone, it means you are in way too  much of a hurry to even notice the ordinary miracles when they occur.  

IT'S NOT  WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE  LIVED
 
 

 
 
 

From: Pauline Lynch [mailto:paulinelynch@verizon.net] 
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:06 AM
To: Mary Berry; Teresa Elmer; Kay Gaver; Phyllis Gould; Pauline Lynch; Linda Rand; Patricia Renaldo; Ronnie Sinagra; Fran Wolfson; Linda Arwood; Barbara Kolar; Sherry Effinger
Subject: 12/16 Party
 

Suspicious message? There's an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home